Week 1 Day 5 Reflection (25/05/2018)

I was so glad to end the week on a good note. The day had fewer activities, and our primary goal was to meet and interact with our prospective research mentors. I started off my day with a meeting with Dr. David Crandall, Associate Computer Science professor at the School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. We discussed skills and expertise which we (SROC candidates) had, and which projects will best suit our capabilities. Since many of us were not versed with Computer Vision in Python, he assigned us a task of reading “Programming Computer Vision” book.

After the meeting, my next task for the day was presenting my elevated speech. An elevator speech is a clear, brief message or “commercial” about you. It communicates who you are, what you’re looking for and how you can benefit a company or organization. It’s typically about 30 seconds, the time it takes people to ride from the top to the bottom of a building in an elevator.

Below is my elevated speech;

My name is Emmanuel Klutse and I’m a rising sophomore at Tougaloo College studying Computer Science. I like doing research in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, and for this summer I’ll be working on a project which involves incorporating Computer Vision into Image Processing, mentored by Dr. David Crandall of the School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. We will write and design a framework which easily identifies certain images and structures, and collate data which will help us develop a supportive database.

My next task is to master Python and its associated Computer Vision toolkits such as TensorFlow, Caffe, etc.