Day 2 – Week 1

Day 2 Overview:

The topic for today began with an insight into the Investigation Review Board (IRB), which stood out to me the most as one of the major factors in conducting research. The IRB is an administrative board in which it acts as the official ethical research enforcement that reviews research that involves any human testing and human needs for a research topic. Depending on the topic of research the researcher is investigating, the IRB has either three sublevels for reviews, which includes a lower level that is not necessary for the IRB to reserve, yet an administrator for the IRB will need to approve. The next level above requires one IRB member to approve the research yet a whole cohesive group is not required and the highest level requires a full cohesive IRB approval in order for the research to continue its course work. I found these parts of the IRB very valuable to understanding the ethics behind research.

I was also able to learn Share LaTex, which at first I was not too fond about using the program since it seemed very complicated and similar to Microsoft Word’s ability to function. However, as I began creating tables and adjusting images and figures, I realized the easier use of Share LaTex is to narrow the time any researcher would take in citing their sources.

I was also able to form a serve-projected oriented team in which the paper-made circuit allowed me to provide an insight to myself on how circuits work and how to establish a successful current. This project is meant to present towards the local Girl Scouts in Indiana about the importance of circuits and STEM education. This activity became my first hands-on activity since 2017, which allowed myself to feel confident in hands-on activity and provides me with insight into the physical world and how we as a society can contribute towards it.

Observational Study at Chipotle:

In my observation, there is a family of four with both parents and a male child of about 10 years old and another male child of about 5 years old, eating out at a Chipotle Restaurant in Bloomington, Indiana. The mother parent is concentrated on her iPhone, while ignoring the 5 year old child who is wondering on the Chipotle doorway opening and closing the door. The child doesn’t seem to show much interest in the surrounding environment until the child sits on the floor and the father parent instructs the child to stand up.

Research Article Summary’s:

Asynchronous Remote Communities (ARC) for Researching Distributed Populations 

In this research article by MacLeod, Jelen, Prabhakar, Oehlberg, Siek, and Connelly, these researchers analyze the frontiers and barriers for research conducted through group-based methods in which an intended significant change is targeted, yet the socioeconomic and political climate infringe on the capability for all participants to have contribution access to this research. The researchers noted previous work in HCI (Human Computer Interaction), has allowed the current research to aspire their methodological choices.  A secret Facebook group was used as a social media platform in which participants took multiple surveys online with no need for the participant to travel to the research. From this, different approaches were made in order to see the outcome of these interviews. The researchers noted as well that this study involves long-term studies, which tend loose interest or ability of some of the current participants which may alter the research.

Defining Through Expansion: Conducting Asynchronous Remote Communities (ARC) Research with Stigmatized Groups

In this research article, Juan Maestre, Haley MacLeod, Ciabhan Connelly, Julia Dunbar, Jordan Beck, Katie Siek, and Patrick Shih analyze the different research areas to fulfill their communities. This particular research focused on ACR method in which Facebook was used to ensure all worked best. This is similar to the previous article in which participants were searched through online use to apply the ACR method.

LaTex Biography can be found on here:

LINK