Week 7 Reflection

Image of a stick-figure holding up a blank poster

Image from Pixabay

I’m getting ready to give my lightning talk (found here). The main point I wanted to get across in the presentation is why this work matters on a larger scale. This work means a lot to me personally, since I know that someday I’ll be in a position where I’m providing care for my older brother and at least one of our parents, quite possibly all at the same time.  Planning and practicing the talk came pretty easily to me and didn’t take up very much of my time this week since I’m so familiar with the work we’ve done and understand its potential impact on the future of caregiving.

We’ve started outlining our poster (the beginning designs of which can be found here) and video. Our poster follows the format Dr. Clawson recommended at the workshop last week. It’s still pretty bare-bones right now but we at least have an idea of what goes where and got some guidance from Aehong on what sections to emphasize. We are making the video on Prezi and don’t have it in an easily shareable format yet, but right now the outline looks pretty similar to my lightning talk with potentially more emphasis on methods. We plan to start with a couple of real-world examples that set up the problem we’re addressing, explaining the problem in more general terms, and then explain what technology already exists to address the issue, and how our work builds on that. For the longer version of the video we plan to submit to CHI, we will most likely add in more detail about our design process and a short demo of the product we create.

Our meetings have gone well this week, although they were a bit irregular with the holiday. I ended up working every day this week by choice because it’s crunch time and we’re getting to the really juicy part of our research! We have finished all 15 interviews and are moving on to more intensive data analysis and design implications. I can’t wait to keep going.